Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tuesday`s penalty 13:19 - Nov 28 with 6106 viewsfirgrovedale51

I have just watched the goals on you tube and it clearly shows the tackle started outside the penalty area, pity the linesman didn't see that .
Tuesday`s penalty on 13:26 - Nov 28 with 4863 viewsMass_Debater

And it continued inside the area.
Tuesday`s penalty on 13:50 - Nov 28 with 4808 viewsSuddenLad

Tuesday`s penalty on 13:26 - Nov 28 by Mass_Debater

The referee didn't even think it was a penalty. If it commenced outside the area, then it shouldn't have been given as a penalty regardless of what the linesman thinks. Inept.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

Tuesday`s penalty on 14:23 - Nov 28 with 4755 viewsD_Dale

It's all academic now, but for both the 'red-card' tackles Winnall went down very easily. And why didn't Eastham do more to hoof the ball away before the third and fourth goals? I've not seen YouTube but assume it's the same as Sky: http://www1.skysports.com/watch/video/sports/football/teams/scunthorpe-united/90
Tuesday`s penalty on 14:56 - Nov 28 with 4705 viewsMass_Debater

Tuesday`s penalty on 13:50 - Nov 28 by SuddenLad

The referee didn't even think it was a penalty. If it commenced outside the area, then it shouldn't have been given as a penalty regardless of what the linesman thinks. Inept.

The Laws of the Game clearly state: "If a defender starts holding an attacker outside the penalty area and continues holding him inside the penalty area, the referee must award a penalty kick."

Same thing applies for fouls.

Whether it was actually a foul (which it was) is another matter, but the fact the offence started outside the area is irrelevant.

http://footballrefereeing.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/outside-or-inside.html
Tuesday`s penalty on 15:10 - Nov 28 with 4686 viewsSuddenLad

Tuesday`s penalty on 14:56 - Nov 28 by Mass_Debater

The Laws of the Game clearly state: "If a defender starts holding an attacker outside the penalty area and continues holding him inside the penalty area, the referee must award a penalty kick."

Whether it was actually a foul (which it was) is another matter, but the fact the offence started outside the area is irrelevant.

Except the referee didn't see a foul inside or outside of the box, despite having a better view than the linesman.

Just another example of ineptness by officials and players play-acting to 'con' the officials. I'd love to know what Hendo had to say to the linesman after the penalty was converted. Bet he wasn't complimenting him on a correct decision.

Perhaps Coleman will apply for the Scunny job. We used to see plenty of it. Match made in heaven.

Tuesday`s penalty on 15:19 - Nov 28 with 4665 viewsMass_Debater

Tuesday`s penalty on 15:10 - Nov 28 by SuddenLad

Except the referee didn't see a foul inside or outside of the box, despite having a better view than the linesman.

Just another example of ineptness by officials and players play-acting to 'con' the officials. I'd love to know what Hendo had to say to the linesman after the penalty was converted. Bet he wasn't complimenting him on a correct decision.

Perhaps Coleman will apply for the Scunny job. We used to see plenty of it. Match made in heaven.

How do you know the referee had the better view? He was behind the play being blocked by O'Connell. The linesman was side on to it with no obstructions.

I agree it was odd how he didn't blow straight away, but I still think the right decision was reached in the end.

Of more concern is the way we defended that and most other situations on Tuesday. The first goal showed a very high degree of ineptness from all concerned.
Tuesday`s penalty on 15:27 - Nov 28 with 4654 viewsnordenblue

Tuesday`s penalty on 13:26 - Nov 28 by Mass_Debater

And it could have continued into the stands,the initial foul took place outside the box therefore no penalty if that's the case!!We didn't deserve to win no matter how much we blame everyone else we looked short of ideas full stop
Tuesday`s penalty on 15:30 - Nov 28 with 4645 viewsfirgrovedale51

Tuesday`s penalty on 14:56 - Nov 28 by Mass_Debater

So you are saying that if a foul is committed outside the penalty area and the players fall or slide in to the penalty area it is a penalty, if that is the case there are a lot free kicks on the edge of the box that should have been penalties.
Login to get fewer ads

Tuesday`s penalty on 15:33 - Nov 28 with 4630 viewsMass_Debater

Tuesday`s penalty on 15:30 - Nov 28 by firgrovedale51

So you are saying that if a foul is committed outside the penalty area and the players fall or slide in to the penalty area it is a penalty, if that is the case there are a lot free kicks on the edge of the box that should have been penalties.

No, read it again.

If the foul starts outside the area and the foul continues inside, it's a penalty.

If there is a foul outside the area, then the player slides/falls into the area, then there was no offence inside the area and it's not a penalty.

The important word is 'continues'.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2013 15:37]
Tuesday`s penalty on 15:35 - Nov 28 with 4619 viewsMass_Debater

Tuesday`s penalty on 15:27 - Nov 28 by nordenblue

And it could have continued into the stands,the initial foul took place outside the box therefore no penalty if that's the case!!We didn't deserve to win no matter how much we blame everyone else we looked short of ideas full stop

Read my earlier post.

It's a penalty if the foul starts OUTSIDE and continues INSIDE, which looks to be the case with O'Connell IMHO.

If a player was fouled outside, but got free and progressed/slid/fell inside the area, it's not a penalty.

You're right, we didn't deserve to win. End of.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2013 15:38]
Tuesday`s penalty on 17:07 - Nov 28 with 4513 viewstopoff

Cant blame the ref, cant blame the linesman, Naive and amateurish defending, if my sunday team defended that bad they would be shipped out...
Tuesday`s penalty on 17:15 - Nov 28 with 4492 viewsSuddenLad

Tuesday`s penalty on 15:19 - Nov 28 by Mass_Debater

How do you know the referee had the better view? He was behind the play being blocked by O'Connell. The linesman was side on to it with no obstructions.

I agree it was odd how he didn't blow straight away, but I still think the right decision was reached in the end.

Of more concern is the way we defended that and most other situations on Tuesday. The first goal showed a very high degree of ineptness from all concerned.

Actually, the 'right' decision would have been to give the clear foul on Matt Done about 5 seconds before, which was far more blatant than any subsequent 'penalty decision'.

Still don't understand why the referee couldn't see the tackle from his position and if not, why not.

For the record, I agree entirely that Scunthorpe were the better side, that they fully deserved 3 points and that we were poor on the night, particularly in defence. The first goal was a horror to concede. None of that, or the Dale performance excuses the subsequent decisions by the officials.

The 'penalty' and subsequent sending-off, changed the game. As Keith Hill said in his post-match comments, it denied Dale the opportunity to compete further in the game.

Tuesday`s penalty on 17:33 - Nov 28 with 4459 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Tuesday`s penalty on 17:07 - Nov 28 by topoff

Cant blame the ref, cant blame the linesman, Naive and amateurish defending, if my sunday team defended that bad they would be shipped out...

Have to agree......watching it again on Sky should carry a health warning .
Tuesday`s penalty on 17:48 - Nov 28 with 4432 viewsMass_Debater

Tuesday`s penalty on 17:15 - Nov 28 by SuddenLad

Actually, the 'right' decision would have been to give the clear foul on Matt Done about 5 seconds before, which was far more blatant than any subsequent 'penalty decision'.

Still don't understand why the referee couldn't see the tackle from his position and if not, why not.

For the record, I agree entirely that Scunthorpe were the better side, that they fully deserved 3 points and that we were poor on the night, particularly in defence. The first goal was a horror to concede. None of that, or the Dale performance excuses the subsequent decisions by the officials.

The 'penalty' and subsequent sending-off, changed the game. As Keith Hill said in his post-match comments, it denied Dale the opportunity to compete further in the game.

Actually, it was Henderson, not Done.

You're right, it was a foul, but the subsequent penalty decision was correct, whoever gave it. It was another situation we defended poorly, to which we can add Eastham's inept attempt to clear before the fourth goal.

Can't agree with Hill's comments at all. He seems to have forgotten Lancashire basically getting himself sent-off and letting down his team when we were already one down.
Tuesday`s penalty on 18:34 - Nov 28 with 4376 viewsD_Alien

As the kick's being taken, one of ours (Bennett I think) has encroached so far into the box he could've beaten the penalty taker to the ball. Just as well he didn't miss, as a retake in those circumstances is criminal.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Tuesday`s penalty on 19:49 - Nov 28 with 4284 viewsdownunder

Tuesday`s penalty on 18:34 - Nov 28 by D_Alien

As the kick's being taken, one of ours (Bennett I think) has encroached so far into the box he could've beaten the penalty taker to the ball. Just as well he didn't miss, as a retake in those circumstances is criminal.

Just watched the You Tube link, and noticed that myself.
The above arguments are void In my opinion. I have referee qualifications, in my opinion, NO PENALTY. There has to be intent in foul play. The Scunthorpe player is on the blind side of the defender. The defender looks to be kicking the ball away when contact occurs.
I now understand Keith Hills post match comments more. First sending off is a tricky one though.
Tuesday`s penalty on 19:51 - Nov 28 with 4281 viewsSuddenLad

Tuesday`s penalty on 19:49 - Nov 28 by downunder

The above arguments are void In my opinion. I have referee qualifications, in my opinion, NO PENALTY. There has to be intent in foul play. The Scunthorpe player is on the blind side of the defender. The defender looks to be kicking the ball away when contact occurs.
I now understand Keith Hills post match comments more. First sending off is a tricky one though.

Lancashire got what he deserved. Both fouls were worthy of yellow cards. One match ban to be served on Saturday.

Tuesday`s penalty on 20:00 - Nov 28 with 4269 views442Dale

Tuesday`s penalty on 19:49 - Nov 28 by downunder

From FA website:

Direct free kick
A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:
kicks or attempts to kick an opponent
trips or attempts to trip an opponent
jumps at an opponent
charges an opponent
strikes or attempts to strike an opponent
pushes an opponent
tackles an opponent
A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following three offences:
holds an opponent
spits at an opponent
handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area)
A direct free kick is taken from the place where the offence occurred (see Law 13 - Position of free kick).
Penalty kick
A penalty kick is awarded if any of the above ten offences is committed by a player inside his own penalty area, irrespective of the position of the ball, provided it is in play.
------------

No mention of intent. O'Connell's challenge could be deemed "careless" as he tackled the opponent.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Tuesday`s penalty on 20:03 - Nov 28 with 4258 viewsSuddenLad

Tuesday`s penalty on 20:00 - Nov 28 by 442Dale

From FA website:

Direct free kick
A direct free kick is awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following seven offences in a manner considered by the referee to be careless, reckless or using excessive force:
jumps at an opponent
charges an opponent
pushes an opponent
tackles an opponent
A direct free kick is also awarded to the opposing team if a player commits any of the following three offences:
holds an opponent
spits at an opponent
handles the ball deliberately (except for the goalkeeper within his own penalty area)
A direct free kick is taken from the place where the offence occurred (see Law 13 - Position of free kick).
Penalty kick
A penalty kick is awarded if any of the above ten offences is committed by a player inside his own penalty area, irrespective of the position of the ball, provided it is in play.
------------

No mention of intent. O'Connell's challenge could be deemed "careless" as he tackled the opponent.

Except it wasn't 'in the opinion of the referee'. He didn't think it was a foul.

Tuesday`s penalty on 20:08 - Nov 28 with 4246 views442Dale

Tuesday`s penalty on 20:03 - Nov 28 by SuddenLad

Except it wasn't 'in the opinion of the referee'. He didn't think it was a foul.

Agreed, and I doubt this would still be being debated if there wasn't the delay before the linesman made the correct decision. In the second before he noticed the flag, many eyes went straight to the linesman, because it was strange the red missed it. But suppose he might not have had the best view.

Wording of those laws does need looking at, should definitely say "officials".

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Tuesday`s penalty on 20:34 - Nov 28 with 4206 viewsTVOS1907

Tuesday`s penalty on 20:03 - Nov 28 by SuddenLad

What about when we got our second penalty v Chesterfield?

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Tuesday`s penalty on 20:36 - Nov 28 with 4205 viewsTVOS1907

Tuesday`s penalty on 20:08 - Nov 28 by 442Dale

Agreed, and I doubt this would still be being debated if there wasn't the delay before the linesman made the correct decision. In the second before he noticed the flag, many eyes went straight to the linesman, because it was strange the red missed it. But suppose he might not have had the best view.

Wording of those laws does need looking at, should definitely say "officials".

Not really because the referee has the final say-so, whether he sees an incident himself or takes the advice of his assistant. That's why linesmen were renamed 'assistant referees'.

Tuesday`s penalty on 21:14 - Nov 28 with 4157 viewsirisaln

There are a lot of players do not know the rules. During a penalty
they think they can set off when the whistle blows. If in fact Bennett
had not encroached the two of their attackers that had done so would
have broken the rules the kick should then have been retaken.
I don't think any refs in any league apply this rule.
Tuesday`s penalty on 21:37 - Nov 28 with 4130 viewsD_Dale

Tuesday`s penalty on 20:00 - Nov 28 by 442Dale

From FA website:

Direct free kick
jumps at an opponent
charges an opponent
pushes an opponent
tackles an opponent
holds an opponent
spits at an opponent
Penalty kick
------------

Though I thought I knew the laws fairly well, I'm surprised at some of these and would expect to see a player who deliberately strikes, kicks or spits at an opponent not just to concede a direct free kick (or a penalty if in the box) but also to be sent off.
Tuesday`s penalty on 22:08 - Nov 28 with 4096 viewsTVOS1907

Tuesday`s penalty on 21:37 - Nov 28 by D_Dale

Though I thought I knew the laws fairly well, I'm surprised at some of these and would expect to see a player who deliberately strikes, kicks or spits at an opponent not just to concede a direct free kick (or a penalty if in the box) but also to be sent off.

He will be . That's listed under the section for yellow/red card offences.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024